Saturday, January 28, 2006

Beautiful music from a transgendered person..Antony + the Johnsons

Girls (and boys), do yourself a favour and go and listen to "I am a bird now" by Anthony + the Johnsons. Beautiful beautiful music with the lyrics having a transgendered theme...which is understandable given the fact that Anthony (UK born, lives in NYC) is openly transgendered.

Anthony's music will naturally not appeal to everyone...but if you're transgendered, I think you may just find a special connection with the music and words.

My wife bought this album for me for Xmas. She knows my very specific and selective (although broad) music taste and knew I'd love this album and in addition she was fascinated by a newspaper interview with Anthony in which the reporter attempted to explore Anthony's transgendered side.
So this is or was off course the perfect opportunity for me to tell my wife that I'm also transgendered...but yet again my courage failed me.
Anyway, I do find it interesting that my wife was fascinated by the article and that she somehow sub-conciously associated Anthony with me.

But back to the main purpose of this blog...beautiful music, relevant lyrics, sung by a transgendered person with a wonderful voice. Guests providing additional vocals on the album are Boy George ("surprise surprise"...hehehe), Rufus Wainwright (another "surprise surprise"!) and Lou Reed.
Just wish there were more guitars and guitar riffs...ah well, things can't always be perfect.

No comments: